Saturday, July 16, 2011

Day 8 cont. - Arrival in Guangzhou

Danielle and I arrived in Guangzhou from Nanchang alone late yesterday. We were supposed to carry passports for all the families but it turned out that an official was out of town and that delayed things even further. Traveling alone was uneventful but when we got to Guangzhou no one was there waiting holding a CCAI sign. We went outside and no one there and then we returned to baggage claim. I then had Danielle stay there while I took Grace to the bathroom. On the way back I saw a lady come in that appear to be a little lost. I walked past and returned to Danielle. I thought well I guess it is time to call Josh or Lily back in Colorado. I was about to find a wireless connection at the airport to make the call when the lady I passed earlier wonder past and stopped near. She was looking into the secured area we had just exited and then pulled out a list. Danielle asked her if she was with CCAI and to both parties relief she was.

Reflecting on the situation I will only give the following advice to Chinese guides for foreign adoptive parents..."if you go to the airport looking for your party and you find an African-American or Caucasian couple with a Chinese child standing in a Chinese airport...that is probably the people you are looking for and you should speak to them."

Despite the hard bed at the White Swan we were very tired and slept well. PLEASE NOTE: We found out the next day that you can call house keeping and tell them your bed is too hard that will be a pillow top cover on the mattress that will make it a much nicer sleep. Definitely not what you have at home but I will take it.

1 comment:

  1. "Reflecting on the situation I will only give the following advice to Chinese guides for foreign adoptive parents..."if you go to the airport looking for your party and you find an African-American or Caucasian couple with a Chinese child standing in a Chinese airport...that is probably the people you are looking for and you should speak to them."

    HA! This cracked me up! I am so bummed that I only found your travel blog today, now that you're ready to come home ((((((sigh))))). But hearty congratulations are in order to the three of you...Grace is beautiful and all three of you look so happy together. Praise God!

    Oh, we also stayed at the Jin Feng in June/July 2008 -- I can tell you that I have NEVER been as hot as I was in Nanchang! It was awful! Getting to Guangzhou was heavenly in comparison!

    Prayers to you as you make your flight home. Hopefully, you'll continue to blog!

    TB (from RQ)

    ReplyDelete